Wednesday, May 18, 2011

There are NEVER Enough Pillows

My girlfriend found these awesome pillow cases on Etsy.  She loved them...except for the price.  They were incredibly expensive ($50 for two cases!) and not to mention the $12 in shipping.  So, she turned to her friend that can sew anything...me!  And since she used to watch my son three days a week for free, I thought I could return the favor and make her some awesome pillow cases that were machine washable, kid-friendly, and free. Always a plus, right? 

I used orange satin circles in varying sizes and heat sealed (I burned them with a tea light!) them so that they wouldn't fray to create the flower.  Tip: All synthetic materials can be burned so that they don't fray.  I prefer serging if the edges won't be seen, but burning gives a great edge effect and rolls the satin slightly inward.  The more you burn, the more it rolls.  I'll put up a tutorial on how to make the satin flower (I can't explain without pictures...it just doesn't seem to do the ease justice!).  The middle is a coordinating button with the colors of the pillow fabric. 

The fabric is an outdoor fabric that I got at JoAnn's.  Although it says it should be dry-cleaned, it can be put into the washer on gentle or hand-washed.  I put it in with my blankets to wash. 

I also used this awesome tutorial from Cottage Magpie, although I didn't use the ruffles on the outside, for the actual casing. 

Here are the finished results.  I'm making some of my own to match my furniture, so I'll get a pic of what they looked like stuffed.  And the envelope enclosure on the back. 

No comments:

Post a Comment